lunes, 12 de noviembre de 2012

My Biggest Fear Part 1

I remember that it was a normal Tuesday afternoon, the day before Halloween. I had been reading on my bus that day, the continuous blog posts that the keeper of the Holocron Leland Chee had been adding which listed the show of Star Wars: The Clone Wars in chronological order. I was worried about the fact that my Senior class had decided to dress up as clowns for Halloween, and since I hated clowns, I wasn't sure If I would present myself for Halloween the following day at school. But then, something happened when I opened Twitter that day. Something that would change my life.

I clicked on the link of the tweet without reading exactly what it said, something about 2015 and Disney and Lucasfilm... When I realized it, I was in the fan-based blog TheForce.Net and I was looking at a picture of Disney's CEO Bob Iger shaking hands with George Lucas. Then I happened to read what the post and the picture was all about:


Disney Buying Lucasfilm, Plans New Star Wars Film 

When I first saw all of this and the long thread that followed, talking about the deal and everything, I could not believe what I was seeing. I literally thought that this was some kind of April Fool's Day Thing, and that it wasn't real. Then I went to check on Google-the News was basically everywhere. I literally had to re-check everything to see if it wasn't some kind of joke. I thought that this was all some kind of nightmare and it wasn't true that this has to be some kind of dream. But no. It was all too damn real. I spend the next few days trying to figure out what the deal exactly meant.The worst part of all of this is that  I came to realize, that my worst fear, now had the possibility of becoming a reality: That the stories told in the Star Wars Expanded Universe would end up adapted into a new trilogy of Star Wars films. 

My mind had, for a very long time, settled with the idea that Star Wars was meant to be a Six-part movie series, and that the end in
Return of the Jedi, with the Ewoks, the redeemed Anakin Skywalker and the victorious Rebel Alliance was all their would be and that they would live happily ever after. Now I know, that it isn't the end of the story, and that the beautiful ending was only truly the ending for the first six films.  

Thankfully as has been confirmed by Lucasfilm and Disney, the next set of Star Wars films will be an original story, and they won't be based on the books and comics that took place in that time period. In a later post, I will explain why the adaptation of these novels and comics, was and in some ways still is my biggest fear for Star Wars.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario