martes, 13 de noviembre de 2012

My Biggest Fear Part 2

One morning, I believe it was the first of November or so, My friends were asking me about what I thought of the upcoming Star Wars Episode 7. I told them that I was worried that the movie might end up screwing up everything, and one of my friends went ahead and decided to say, ''they can't screw it up like they did in the Prequels. Doing it more horrible than that is almost impossible''. Obviously I ignored his blatantly ignorant comment, since in all honesty, the arguments of why the Prequels were bad are so filled with nonsense, that they get to the point of annoyance. If any of you don't like the prequels I respect your opinion, but seriously, don't bring up arguments about Jar Jar Binks, or the acting, or anything subjective that has been said over a million times before. 
Anyway, the main reason why I feared for my life the EU being adapted into the Sequel Trilogy is pretty simple: Those stories depress the heck out of me, and honestly they have so many plot holes and bad stories in them that if they were to be adapted into the movies, I would probably not even show up at the theatre. The stories depicted in the books, comics, video games and other media set after Return of the Jedi, Are in general stories that aim at violating the fundamental principles of Star Wars that George Lucas set up in the first place. 

The prophecy of the Chosen One, as said by the movies and by George Lucas himself in the commentaries of the DVD's in Revenge of the Sith, explained that even after Anakin turned himself into the Sith Lord Darth Vader, that he indeed fulfilled the prophecy by destroying the Emperor and himself, and therefore, the Sith were set to be destroyed. Which pretty much means that the Sith should not come back. But hey, they did in the comic series Dark Empire, in which Palpatine is reborn in a clone of his and Luke turns to the dark side!! So much for the prophecy. 

And anyway not only does Emperor Palpatine come back, but so do the Sith in general, I don't know how, in the stories and books that follow starting with Han and Leia's oldest son. So pretty much that is enough to have gotten plenty of fans of the movies (guys like me) extremely angry. Not only that, but the fact that the Empire somehow never collapsed (don't ask me) and somehow stormtroopers are running around well after the destruction of the Death Star in Endor. Why didn't they sign an armistice, for crying out loud? 

I don't think that going further into all of this is actually going to satisfy anyone and it will only upset me even more. Their is one more point I would like to make anyway: 

I don't hate entirely the EU. I think that a lot of the things that appear in this books are very interesting, but in particular the interesting stories are the ones which are set either in-between or before the movies do to the fact that George Lucas vision is far more closely seen and it's somewhat significantly valued. I don't see that in the EU set after Episode 6. I've never read any of it, but simply by taking a glimpse at Wookieepedia to see what it was about is enough to have depressed me for a long time. 

For a long time I was happy about the fact that their would be no Sequel Trilogy, and that apparently if George Lucas hasn't changed his mind, then perhaps, we won't see any of these fetid feces adapted into any movies: 

 "I've left pretty explicit instructions for there not to be any more features. There will definitely be no Episodes VII–IX. That's because there isn't any story. I mean, I never thought of anything. And now there have been novels about the events after Episode VI, which isn't at all what I would have done with it. The Star Wars story is really the tragedy of Darth Vader. That is the story. Once Vader dies, he doesn't come back to life, the Emperor doesn't get cloned and Luke doesn't get married..."-George Lucas, Total Film, May 2008.

The good news that came out recently, is that, As I said before, Lucasfilm and Disney have apparently both confirmed that the next series of movies won't be based out of any work in the EU, but will instead be an ''original story''. 

The only thing that I think still floats inside my mind like a gigantic question mark is what will happen then to Heir to the Empire, and all of those books and comics made in that time period? Will they be deemed as non-canon, in order to give space to what actually happens in the movies? Or will they end up creating an alternative universe, in which all of these stories are considered canon but simply are all automatically divided into two universes, one in which all the EU stories before this decision of new movies finds itself, and the other in which the movies and related content to those movies take place? The latter I think would be a best choice since it wouldn't get as many EU fans angry as would the other choice, and it would allow for much more space and freedom for George Lucas to set up those stories like they were originally intended it to be, not what the EU intended it to be in the first place.

Future updates and continuous speculation will come as we get more information.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario